Monday, December 28, 2009

Product Rave: Kenra Shine Spray


So, being a brunette and having chemically-treated, very dry hair, I'm always on the lookout for a product that will give me a lovely, glossy shine. I've used a Redken product before, the ubiquitous Chi Silk Infusion, some serum or other from Victoria's Secret, and numerous other products (many of which are currently crowding up my bathroom drawers), but hadn't found anything that really worked. Over the summer, when I was having my hair done for a huge family wedding, my stylist sprayed this candy-smelling mist all over my hair when she was done. When I asked what it was, she informed me that it was Kenra Shine Spray, and that it was to make my updo of crunchy blonde highlights (yes, I was attempting to go from almost black to blonde....er, I got that outta my system real quick, along with the ubertanness that I was sporting at the time: gawd, what was I thinking?!) look healthy and pretty. Cool beans, said I, and I promptly forgot about it in the chaos of getting the bride finished and ready to go.

Fast foward 9 months, and I found myself wandering the hair product isle at Ulta hunting for something (I had itchy fingers and wanted to purchase something, anything, lol). Hark! The sparkling packaging of Kenra Platinum Collection caught my eye! As I perused the products, something deep within my sluggish and caffeiene deprived memory surfaced: Kenra Shine Spray! Yummy smelling shiny stuff! Sweet! There it was, the last lonely bottle on the shelf. Well you can bet I swiped it up (along with other random things I don't even remember..), along with a bottle of their Working Spray (a flexible hairspray). This morning, I used it for the first time and I really do heart it. It smells like fruity candy, which is to say, completely delicious and awesome. It doesn't feel slick or greasy or siliconey--nothing like the chi silk infusion or any serum I've ever used. To be honest, it doesn't feel like there is any product in my hair whatsoever. But it does impart a high-shine, long-lasting candy scent to my hair.


I don't know if you can tell from this picture (pardon my iphone camera quality), but it really did make my hair look shiny and healthy.

My method of use: blow-dry, and then spray a small amount on my ends. Straighten as normal, using my usual combination of products. Spray a fine mist over my whole head, with extra spray on my ends, and ends of my layers. Smooth over with a boar bristle brush, add hairspray, and you're done!

The shine spray retails for $15.00, and you can find it at Ulta, and most salons. Definitely a must-have product, in my opinion.

Have you tried it? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. hey!! do u work for mac also?? louise was there at the training but it wasn't her doing the demo. it was our trainer kimmee. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked for MAC for a long time :)))) I don't anymore--once I relocated to the Sacramento area, they only had part-time available, and that wasn't working for me! I run my own business, Anthea Artistry, and I'm going to start freelancing for MAC again soon!

    Omg, I love Kimmee!!!!! Miss that woman (she did my makeup interview lol).

    I'll have to visit you in the city one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the makeup advice on my blog!! That was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem! Glad to help! Not that you need much--you're absolutely gorgeous! If you lived closer I would have offered to come do it for you :)

    ReplyDelete